S

4 Messages

• 

300 Points

Tuesday, October 24th, 2023 5:10 PM

Importing Code Sets from database

Hi I was hoping to import Code Sets from tables in our database (we call them Lookup tables) however I can’t see anyway to load these into codesets automatically

These tables do change over time, and I want to be able to see new values

Wondering if anyone has hit this ?

Thanks for any help,
Stephen Lindsey

3 Messages

10 months ago

I’m not quite sure how to load them, but you may want to ensure that the code set objects have some form of version/status control as well as effectivity start and end dates to allow for changes in the descriptions of the codes over time.

When I was with Bed Bath and Beyond I began creating the reference code set objects.

I would always include the following attributes in a code set:

1. Code
  2. Value
  3. Description or definition of the Value as necessary
  4. Source system
  5. Effective from date (dates for same code from same source should never overlap)
  6. Effective to date
  7. Version Number
  8. Status
  9. Data domain (the reference data relates to)
    Ideally you would then relate the code sets to various data dictionaries where the code is used.
    you also might relate a system code set to a conformed / harmonized or industry standard code set.

Good luck!

2 Messages

10 months ago

Hello,

Loading them as-is is a simple matter of building an integration using Collibra’s APIs. Or going the manual route by using the import function but that’s not sustainable on the long run. For integrating with Collibra you can choose from most of the usual technologies; we chose Springboot in Openshift containers (which is our internal platform of choice in my company).

The more interesting part is to design a process and a governance that will make the management of reference data something that actually brings value. Part of that will require you to define where to design the data, how to review it / bring its definition to an acceptable quality and decide how to make it further accessible to other systems that rely on the same code sets.

Plenty of fun to be had.

On my side we decided to master all code sets in Collibra but allow some systems to push candidate values that still go through a review process. Then we expose it back via internal APIs where major internal applications can subscribe to get the latest values.