D

46 Messages

• 

400 Points

Friday, January 21st, 2022 2:30 PM

Questions on Structure Migration Workflow

Hey, has anyone used the Structure Migration Workflow from the Collibra Marketplace. Wondering if this is an effective way to move the approved structure from one environment to another. How do you move the structure if not using this workflow?

It also states " The Migration Feature does not export/import the complete Community/Domain structure." It sure looks like its got everything from our structure. What am I missing?

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

Is there any reason to use this marketplace workflow over the migration feature in the settings panel?
The migration feature can achieve this and much more, with the added security benefits of simulation, etc.

46 Messages

• 

400 Points

Hi Arthur, Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression that the Migration feature in settings would only migrate the operating model and not the data. Such as communities, domains, and assets that we have created.
The workflow will allow us to move the communities and domains that have been created in the lower environment and move them into production.
In my investigation, the workflow appears to put all the Communities and domains into the JSON file. I was then able to pick the ones I wanted to migrate and delete the rest. I would recommend using a JSON Formatter to better understand the file it provides. I plan on keeping this JSON file along with the CMA that is created by the Migration feature in Bit Bucket as code and see if I can use a Devops Pipeline to do the migration for me.
Would be interested in any experiences that people may have and the best practices for automated Migration.

1.2K Messages

Ah, ok, clearer.

The migration feature can migrate domains and communities through “views”.
Whatever communities/domains are required by the view will automatically be included into the exported .cma file.
You can simply create a default view and add all the communities/domains you want to migrate to the view filter and voila, job done.

I have created an idea two years ago to do more with migration, but it’s still under consideration ( Ideation Platform – Collibra | Product Resource Center)

The migration API is still private, meaning that it is unsupported for direct access by customers but already contains all the features to migrate any object, including assets, relations, etc.

I’m with you on automating deployment through CI/CD pipelines, but it remains quite complex. I have developed some scripts to compare environments, which allows me to quickly identify differences, who have created/modified elements in dev, etc.

46 Messages

• 

400 Points

Thanks Arthur for the information.
I didn’t realize the View migration would move the Community and domain it was in. That is the information that I needed to know. I will add the default view to our process and we won’t have to mess with the Workflow.

Will have to check out the Migration API’s. Yeah a compare would be very helpful.

Thanks again!
David Botzenhart