C

Wednesday, October 26th, 2022 12:22 PM

Collibra Browser Extension Automated Deploy / Roll-out

Hi Data Citizens,

We would like to roll-out browser extension on every workstation within the company. We are using mostly Edge browser.
Anybody deployed this extension before centrally with whitelisted domains? any advice, tips & recommendation would be much appreciated.

24 Messages

2 years ago

Hi Cagri

The Collibra Everywhere team is not aware on how we can facilitate this. Unlike e.g. Collibra for Desktop, we cannot make use of installation parameters.

However, if someone from this community has a good idea or experience with a roll-out, we are keen to learn more. As you can see, there are several clients looking for a solution to this problem:
https://productresources.collibra.com/ideation-platform/?id=DCC-I-836

19 Messages

Hi Wouter,

Thank you for your kind attention. I have checked the ideas also and totally agree with the users.
This is a real need for better adoption, actually for Business Users.
I am looking forward to hear some solution from community if there is.

Best regards
Cagri

4 Messages

2 years ago

Hello Cargi,

Unfortunately it will not be possible to pre configure whitelisting for all user when enabling the extension broadly.
From the research we did, chrome extension does not offer the possibility to do pre configuration.

On top of that, whitelists are based on your DGC/DIC instance, we even if it was possible to pre configure it, you would still not be allowed to do it.

One way to ease the transition is to use the console settings to add whitelisted domains (console > data governance center > configuration > 33 Collibra Browser Extension configuration > 33.a domains)

Once the user authenticate to an instance, the configuration in the console will be automatically injected in the extension so the users won’t need to do it themselves, they just need to authenticate.

Hopefully it will ease a bit the use of the extension.

19 Messages

Hello Guillaume,

Thank you for your kind explanation, at least it is more clear now.
And the console setting will definitely easing the manuel solution. We are already able to roll out the extention without settings.
Means that only “Collibra Platform URL” setting for the extension needs to be communicated to complete the setup individually.
It would be so great to have Platform URL by console settings :blush:

I will try and will share back my experience.

Best regards

4 Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunately @cagri.ozbakay.nutreco.com we can’t move the platform url to settings.

In order th fetch the configuration, the extension first need to know on which instance it needs to fetch the configuration, and for that the user needs to add the DGC instance url himself as part of the extension, and only after it is done the extension can fetch the remaining configuration.

19 Messages

Hi @guillaume.kinif ,

Still looking for a solution and after your advice for whitelists now we only need to configure “Collibra Platform URL” setting.
Is the URL stored in windows registery? If this URL is registered somewhere and if we can repopulate this information , do you think can the extention pick up automatically?

19 Messages

2 years ago

Hi @guillaume.kinif again,

there is a question from technical team. Kind of similar question to mine but this will help us to populate the settings as I understand.
I added a screenshot of the extension and there is a green mark at the bottom says “Configuration Saved”. Where is this confisuration exactly being saved, what location or file the information is saved ? We assumed that this should be stored locally

Looking forward for your support

Best regards
Cagri

@cagri.ozbakay.nutreco.com This worked for me:

1. Open chrome://version/
  2. Get Profile Path
  3. Extension configuration will be then under the /Local\ Extension\ Settings/kanjghhidieapbfchbdcnpgffmephbdf

I undeployed and redeployed the extension. Removed the existing folder, and copied the old folder into its place.

Started chrome, it worked (on Mac and Windows).

I do not even find the Collibra Browser Extension in the edge store. But maybe I am doing something wrong there, I am not familiar with Edge that much…

24 Messages

@szabolcs.tamas.barany to install on Edge, you can use the download from the Chromestore.

See here on how to install.
https://productresources.collibra.com/docs/collibra/latest/Content/BrowserExtension/ta_add-extension-to-browser.htm#tab-2

24 Messages

@cagri.ozbakay.nutreco.com
User configuration data is stored in the extension storage.

The approach @szabolcs.tamas.barany is proposing might work, but it is hard to ‘productize’. It creates a dependency on how Chrome works. If Chrome decides to change their architecture, the extension might break.

4 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @cagri.ozbakay.nutreco.com ,

Currently we save the configuration using chrome storage (internal to chrome).
We never tested the solution provided by Szabolcs but it might work, I had a quick look and indeed I can see some files related to the extension, but the format used does not allow to easily change data into the files.

Potentially , pre-configuring the extension then creating an archive of that folder might make it work, but those folders are internal to chrome and if at any point they change the way the folder works, it might prevent the extension to work properly if the folder is not correct anymore.

As for the extension not being visible in Edge, there is an option in Edge to allow extension from other marketplace, it might be the culprit.

Regards,

Guillaume.

19 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for all your support.
I tried the solution that @szabolcs.tamas.barany explained, unfortunately it didn’t worked for me (on Edge) , did not pick up the URL.
@wouter.dusar & @guillaume.kinif Thank you for storage information. And I agree with you that the might break later.
Still we will try to configure something with the provided information and will be happy to share in case we can suceed :slight_smile:
Wish you all a great day!

Best regards
Cagri

Thanks for the info, yeah did not bother with the documentation :slight_smile:

Works with Edge as well. The only difference is, if you close the Edge windows, actually edge does not quit. So even if you overwrite the files and reopen Edge, it will display the previous settings.

Closing it from the task manager, restarting it works.

19 Messages

Thank you @szabolcs.tamas.barany !
I will try again with your advice.

Still curious about which file exactly needs to be replace so we can have only that file in the deploy package.

Best regards
Cagri

My pleasure :wink:

Overwriting 000003.log is enough