A

Monday, July 11th, 2022 3:01 PM

Data Attributes vs. Data Elements for Data Privacy Classification

Hi Team,
We are doing a Data Privacy Classification POC whith Data Policy - Standard - Category - Attribute relationships. In this approach, we are considering relating one or more Data Elements to a given (categorized) Data Attribute.
For instance: DataAttribute = “IndividualBankAccountNumber”, related Data Category = “Financial Personal Information”, related DataElements : “CRM_PersonalAccountNumber”, “BeneficiaryAccountNumber”, etc.
We need help with the following questions:
(1) Is it possible / a good practice to related multiple DataElements to a DataAttribute in Collibra?
(2) How to set up UI search functionality so that one community (ex. DataArchitects) sees only DataElements, while another community (ex. DataCitizens) sees only DataAttributes? In general, how to restrict UI search on data assets to certain asset types for a given community?
(3) How to ensure that the DataAttribute-DataCategory relationship instances are automatically propagated/copied DataElements, i.e. whenever a DataAttribute is related to a DataCategory, all the DataElements related to that DataAttribute are also related to the same DataCategory?

Thank you for your help,
Anatoly Orlovsky

17 Messages

2 years ago

@anatoly.orlovsky If you are not using the automatic data classification features from Collibra Catalog as Data Steward, you can dig further here: https://productresources.collibra.com/docs/collibra/latest//Content/Catalog/DataClassification/co_automatic-data-classification-via-platform.htm

668 Messages

• 

11.9K Points

2 years ago

@anatoly.orlovsky This seems like a good candidate for our Coaching Services team (https://productresources.collibra.com/coaching-services/). Reach out to your Account Manager or email [email protected] and I would recommend that you reference the URL of this thread.

160 Messages

• 

500 Points

2 years ago

Hi @anatoly.orlovsky ,

We’re just starting to revamp our Information Sensitivity Classification and Handling, so I can share a couple of things we’re sketching out now. Note, however, that we’re not using Collibra’s Data Privacy module, nor are we using Data Quality, so this done though our own operating model design.

We will be implementing a logical layer through the use of Data Sets . For example, a Data Set “Bank Number” would be the logical representation of a collection of physical Data Elements from various data repositories.

Regarding your second point, The elements grouped within a Data Set (or by another asset type) will only be visible to those that have the privileges to see them in the domain in which they are located. (Which is cool, of course.)

I wouldn’t recommend duplicating the relations down at the data element level. Depending on your needs, you may be able to leverage Data Grid or Diagram Views (for visibility), or custom workflows for control of these assets.

Hope this helps.
Tom