G

Wednesday, March 1st, 2023 8:27 PM

Master Data Recipes (standards) Question

We are deploying data governance with Collibra. One of the artifacts that we use broadly in Master Data are what we call “Recipe’s” which are documented standards for certain common patterns of Master Data. For example, if we are setting up a new product in a given plant, our recipe lays out certain attributes of the record that must be set to a certain value as well as specifying which attributes can vary based on the situation. These recipes are invaluable in ensure we setup different products in consistent patterns. We currently publish this in a controlled (word) document as a table that shows how to setup each attribute. Users like the table view because it is easy to read.
Does anyone do something similar in Collibra? If so, can you share what asset types you leverage ?

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

It seems the asset type “Data Attribute” might be relevant for your use case. If you can share a made up example, it would help to grasp what you are trying to model.
Also, sometimes it’s easier to just use the description field and write an html table in there. It remains unstructured, but can help with the documentation and accessing the information.

3 Messages

2 years ago

I have attached an example Recipe. The columns represent attributes on the product record. The rows are the standard “patterns” of how we should set that particular record type up in a given facility. Where multiple values are shown, it means that attribute can reflect any of those values within the given facility in question. Where there are specific values, those are the required values for a “proper” setup.Example Recipe.xlsx (9.1 KB)

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

I would dare to say this crosses into master data, and I probably would not store such information in Collibra (especially if GxP validated). There is a fine line between metadata and master data, and although Collibra can accommodate some master data, it is generally not recommended to use Collibra for master data.

If you really want to do this, you could create a “Recipe” asset type, with a complex relation to store the information you have shown within the asset.
If you don’t like the complex relation, you could create a dedicated “Recipe item” asset type.

1 Message

2 years ago

Hello George,

I was setting up allowed values for our company which were stored in ERDM in excel tables. I basically created code sets out of each columns and then used relationships grouped by and groups to create the same logic as was in files. Exporting this hierarchy is not possible with out of the box option in collibra, but you can do it with API since it is more robust.